Hello, people if you’re only just getting here you’ll know that this is the second post in my Girl,Bye! Series.
This post, considering my past record is likely to anger or annoy many folks but today I want to talk about the necessity of do for self.
That is, I want to talk about the necessity for black women to create their own media instead of waiting around for others.
For the black women still reeling off the death of Detective Joss Carter on Person of Interest (the only black female character on the entire network and one of a handful of those on television ). There are some that believe that (as the writers have said) they always planned to kill the character off, and therefore black women shouldn’t get angry because TPH wanted to leave the show anyway.
There are also those who also believe that black women got played yet again, and disbelieve the idea that a middle aged black woman would voluntarily leave a show, and remembered the debacle of the second season mid season finale in which fans were wanked off at the idea that the character could be in love with the main star and then spent the rest of the season out of contact with said character, and then nine episodes later was suddenly killed.
Whether or not you want to buy the bridge that I’m selling there’s one common problem with this entire bate and switch.. ahem. Situation , the two defining factors that seem to have escaped noticed and been overlooked by black women whether they believe either of the above situations, is the common denominator of Nolan and Plageman et al.
You see Nolan and Plageman are the common denominator because despite whether Henson’s leaving the show by force or plan still leaves the power to terminate the characters and likeness of black female characters in the hands of people who ultimately can do whatever the heck they want.
You see, as long as black women refuse to create their own media they will ALWAYS be subjected to the crazed and ill thought out “bigger picture” for your character. In essence the black women who depend on Nolan & Plageman and Shonda and Co, and Mr. Perry, will always be dependent on the goodwill of said “creators” that means when Nolan decides that it’s time to “up the stakes” well, all the eggs you put in that basket will be cracked and scrambled because there was no back up plan.
Because black women have no said, back up plan, refuse to do for self, or at the very least be cautious about the groups and entities they pour their money into, this sends a message. These groups KNOW the following.
- They know it only takes another brown face to get black women to pour money in
- They know black women are easily fooled
- They know they have the power and can thus pull the plug when they want
- They know they will get your money
- They know you will get it yourself without looking elsewhere
- They know you want into their “club” which makes it that much more exclusive to get it accepted into.
These groups also take a lot of pleasure in twisting the knife once they decide that the expendable character is indeed useless.
Not that Nolan & Plageman & Co twisted the knife by almost giving the character a full story line and then making her a potential love interest only to destroy that hope later.
Similar to mobsters who kill your pet and send the head to you, they did the same thing with the character in this situation with the Character Joss Carter.
And they believed they were completely within their realm to do that.
But let’s move on let’s talk about some more reasons why it’s necessary for black women to “do for self” instead of waiting for others.
Since other blogs have their own score card let’s talk about some of the recent examples of why black women need to create their own media ASAP.
- The continued narrative of black women’s thoughts, history, and reflection through that of black men. AL la twelve years a slave and Django Unchained.
- The continued and perpetual usage of black women’s bodies, minds and beings, as examples ofwhat not to be in the media A LA Lily Allen and her “ironic” video by doing the exact thing she’s claiming to hate. Aka having black women on display and as props.
- The continued destruction of black women’s characters on shows like Person of Interest.
- The continued use ( and defense of ) morons like Kanye West as the speaker of all things “black” and the defense by mainstream white feminists like the Jezzies.
- The use of black women’s bodies as paraphernalia, as this designer below does
- The continued push of (as some women have pointed out) of black women in the media who are “safe” a la, Amber Riley on Dancing With the Stars. (Note I actually like Amber Riley but I do know about the penchant some groups of white women have of fawning over black women actresses as “awesome” who are seen as nonthreatening to them. ( Or think of the black character on Parks &Rec and the sycophantic responses from white female characters to these same sad trope characters)
- The continued bait and switch on characters that black women support. A la “Twisted” style
The use of black female misogynists in the media as spokesmen. I’m looking at YOU General Mills. Who decided to team up with Nelly (AKA Tip Drill Singer)
Unfortunately black women don’t realize that wanting better representation isn’t as simple as asking. Especially since the groups who wield more privilege benefit from having you on the bottom, or simply don’t care if you ever get your piece of the pie.
Need an example, as peruse the comments from viewers of the new show Sleepy Hollow, I notice the majority of viewers, despite words from show runners believe that Nicole Beharie and her character are expendable. They believe this character doesn’t matter to the show and that Tom Mison’s character is what makes the show (and simply wouldn’t be the show without him while believe her character could gtfo)
These people with these beliefs are have the same mentality as those who watched POI. Who were meh about Joss Carter being killed though she was listed as a star while claiming they would leave if the two white men characters would go.
These people’s only concern during POI was that the other characters get enough screen time. They don’t give a damn if the character you’ve invested your money and time in ever gets any backstory, or time.
Unfortunately these morons are who people like Nolan& Plageman and Shonda &Co are servicing. Believe, you are an afterthought An afterthought only remembered when it’s time to make money and promote the show.
What’s the point of this post. The point is that farther than simply NOT SUPPORTING a show it would be prudent to support/ create shows that black women have created themselves and actually show some desire in treating black women as a valued customer instead of gum on the bottom of a shoe to wiped off. Use this latest example as a bought lesson.
Or continue on… but don’t say nobody warned you.
Until Next Time,
Next Post in series
Girl, Bye! Episode III: Let’s Talk About Warning Signs
PS. Ignore the typos I was in a rush.